You are using your compostable plates to serve food, but you may want to hold off composting them for a while. Your plates are very durable and still have some life in them. The following are 4 kid-friendly ways to use your plates before you take them in to be recycled.
1. The Compostable Flying Saucer
Follow the steps below to make a flying saucer:
- Clean two used compostable plates.
- Glue the plates together with the gap facing each other.
- Puncture both plates with a small hole right in the middle. This is to let air through and make your flying saucer soar.
Enjoy the compostable saucer with your entire family.
2. Teach Your Children About Sundials
An almost forgotten way to tell time is using the sun. And a compostable plate can help teach your children this useful trick. Follow the instructions below.
- Start by cleaning a compostable plate.
- Write 1 through 12 on the plate, just like normal clock.
- Puncture a hole right in the middle of the plate that is large enough for a straw or stick to pass through.
- Secure the straw or stick in place using glue or tape.
- Then take your plate outside, as you will need the sunlight.
- The shadow of the straw or stick will indicate the time of day.
3. Try Some Plate Percussion Instruments
This is a great thing to do if your children love music. Just check out the following steps to get your child's musical creativity going.
- Clean 2 compostable plates.
- Place a few dry beans or beads on one of the plates.
- Glue the second plate over the beans, just like the flying saucer mentioned above.
- Reinforce the percussion instruments by tightly tying a few strings of twine around the plates or wrapping some tape around the plates. Your kids should enjoy these instruments while exploring their musical talents.
4. The Mask
The simplest thing you can do is create a mask for your kids with the following steps and some creativity:
- Clean a compostable plate for your child.
- Mark where your children's eyes, nose, and mouth are on your compostable plate.
- Paint scary or silly masks for your kids, or let your children do it on their own.
As you can see, your compostable plates are products that just keep on giving. This should also save you a little cash by substituting toys for compostable plate toys.